Friday, April 6, 2012

Brittney Burgess, Bike Racks of Miller Hall

This is a view of the bike rack and space looking from Cleveland Hall looking between Miller and Johnston Halls.  I can give directions to it because I walk by it every single day.  Many JMU students may walk past this space to go all over campus; depending on which route they take. This space (in my eyes) was meant to be aesthetic to all students and visitors and also to be a place that they can call home. My home at JMU is Miller Hall. I spend 90% of my time there and I really enjoy it. In my opinion, most of JMU’s campus does not need to be improved upon because it was designed the way it was for a reason and it has historical significance for not only the founders but also the students currently attending. Part of the attraction is the history behind everything involved with JMU even knowing that Miller Hall is a newer edition to the campus.

Miller Hall is my home at JMU because it gave me comfort in knowledge and understanding. I was able to make friends and communicate with people who understood my background. Without this experience, I don’t know that I would have enjoyed JMU as fully as I did and I am sincerely sad that I will be leaving this wonderful place in just a few short weeks. I will miss the memories it gave me and the beautiful scenery it provided me, even despite its dog-food-smelling-days. 

1 comment:

  1. The space in front of Miller Hall has a particularly personal meaning to me as well. My first semester as a freshman at JMU included a psychology class in Miller Hall every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday that came about an hour and a half after my first class at 9:05. I remember just sitting on the rocky walls and benches in front of Miller Hall and enjoying the beautiful weather and aesthetics that the space had to offer for all of us at JMU as I waited for my psychology class to start. I can honestly say this is the first place that felt like home as a student at JMU because of all those sunny mornings in front of Miller Hall where I would eat breakfast, study, listen to music, and socialize.
    Carlyn Parr
    GAMST 200
    Dr. H

    ReplyDelete