Monday, April 2, 2012

Bridgeforth Stadium (Eileen Sechler)

This is a photograph of the new JMU Bridgeforth stadium, taken from a high corner on the left side of the bleachers facing the back of the Athletic Performance Building. JMU students use this space quite frequently and it plays a major role on campus. Not only is it place where students, friends and parents meet up and watch football games like they did back in high school days, but it is also a place that other sports teams and individuals use to work out and practice in.  
The stadium is highly protected, even during football games, with a huge metal fence surrounding the complex. This just goes to show how important the stadium is to our campus and to the JMU athletic program. Not just anyone can use this space, unless they have permission, therefore many people can only enjoy the space or get a good look at its vastness when they are at games or performances.  Since sports are such a huge part of JMU, I believe the designers thought that we deserved a home field that was big enough to hold thousands of faithful fans and students. The designers created a place that allows modern technology (like the big screen video features and fireworks) to really show JMU’s school spirit. I see the stadium as such an important complex that I wish it could have been located more centrally on campus since it is this huge structure that grabs a lot of attention during football season (even though there is probably no other place to really put it since it’s so new).
 This space in particular will remind me of the hard work I put in on the field with the soccer team when we practiced and what it was like to be a part of a team and a huge program. For many other students, including myself, I also believe it is a place that reminds people of warm sunny days, tailgating with family and friends, decorating in purple and gold, and showing some true school spirit and support. It is a happy spot that encompasses fun, laughter and cheer.

2 comments:

  1. Arman Marks
    I agree, when I look at this image it reminds me of hard work too. Hard work through not only the football team but with whomever else my use it. Anytime I look at this magnificent field I get goose bumps just thinking of how JMU beat Virginia tech last year, and how much it was notarized everywhere. I’m glad this stadium is a part of JMU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric Cain,

    With more and more students touring the university the stadium is vital to the vibe you get from this institution. Being related to many James Madison Alumni, I have heard countless stories of "how there only used to be this", and you could see the train come through at the games.Well, times have changed and the stadium now represents JMU growth.Now holding thousands of people the stadium can accommodate many dukes and fans. The students now have a larger public area to interact with the public.I am excited for future games in the "new" Bridgeforth stadium

    ReplyDelete