Thursday, April 5, 2012

Kelsey DeFord- Garber Hall lawn

I chose an area just outside the dorm I lived in freshman year, Garber Hall, in the village. This image includes a few important details like the railroad tracks, the lawn, and the hill in between the lawn and tracks. This space, especially the lawn, is used a lot during the spring time by students who live in Garber hall to relax and lay in the sun in between classes. Sometimes the area is used for studying however that was never effective for me because I always got distracted watching people walk by or whatever happened to be going on that day. I think the campus designers intended this space to be peaceful and wanted to create a sense of relaxation and beauty for the students to enjoy. The lawn, complete with its plants, trees, and good distance from the intensity of main campus, does seem to create this effect. However this brings me to the main problem with the area, there is a railroad track about ten yards from it. I don’t know how this could be improved aesthetically or practically but the train coming through at all hours of the day, rearing its loud train whistle and honking its horn, tends to ruin the peaceful nature of the space. But I am aware that the chance of moving the railroad farther away is probably nonexistent.  However having the train and all its loud sounds come through at 4am was always an entertaining event in the dorm. This space will forever shape my memory of JMU by reminding me of all the great times I spent listening to music on the lawn or all the not so great times laughing with my roommate at six in the morning because that particular night  two trains decided to come through. As for environmental concerns I think JMU does a great job keeping up the lawn and all the plants while still planting more trees. Also the new parking restrictions for driving through campus makes this area even more peaceful than before and keeps the area more environmentally friendly.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also lived in Garber Hall my freshman year. I really like that this picture captures the railroad tracks as part of the area around the residence hall. In addition to the noise that the train puts out, the marching band practicing on Hillside field also did not help to create a peaceful, relaxing environment. I think it’s interesting to see how different areas of campus attract people to hang out there. When I lived in Garber Hall, I don’t remember many people hanging out on the front grassy area that often. There would be a couple people on nice days, but I would always see more people in other grassy areas in the Village area. I think the space in front of Garber is small and since it’s on a hill and right by the road and train tracks, it was not an ideal place to hang out on nice days. I’m sure the people who designed the space were hoping for more social activity going on in it. I haven’t been back to this area really since I moved out of the dorm two years ago. I definitely don’t really see myself spending anytime around Garber again either before I graduate next year.

    -Brittany Bailey, GAMST 200, Section 4, Dr. Connerley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this post really interesting because I too have lived in Garber. I’m not sure how long ago it has been since the author of the post has lived here, but many of the observations are still very relevant for me. The residents still use it as a place to tan during the nice summer days. I know I have tried to do homework outside as well and not been able too because the view and atmosphere was too distracting. I didn’t think how busy this area would be without the gates in place, and I’m thankful I haven’t had to experience it in the past. A lot of people complain about the train passing, but it doesn’t seem to affect me much. I never notice it and often sleep right through it all. Even though the Garber lawn still serves the same purpose I can defiantly see an improvement in the landscaping from when the picture was taken and even today when walking back. The grass seems to be greener, fresh mulch has been placed, and plants have been better maintained.
    -Chris Velazquez GAMST 200 Dr. Connerley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I do not reside in Garber Hall, I live in Weaver Hall in the village so I am very familiar with what typically occurs on the lawns outside village dorms. When the weather is warm the lawn outside the village dorms are used as public space for all the residents. While some people sunbathe, others are down at the basketball courts shooting some hoops. The village is essentially in the center of the campus and is a very busy area during a day when class is in session. I believe that the intent of this area was not only for natural beauty, but for a place in which students could all converse and share ideas. Living in a dorm, especially the village, sometimes you only associate with people from your section or hall. This lawn gives students the opportunity to meet other people and ultimately generate a flow of new ideas. Kevin Mattson, author of "Reclaiming and Remaking Public Space", views public space as a place to run into strangers, and that is exactly what the purpose of the grassy lawn outside village dorms is. Living in the village does not only provide the typical college experience of living in a dorm, the lawn and courts outside the dorms give students the opportunity to mingle and share opinions.

    By: Megan Shekletski
    Dr. H- GAMST200

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post strikes me because it involves a choice for me: to hop the fence or not to hop the fence. I can get back to my dorm about a minute quicker if I decide to hop the fence and climb the hill, rather than continuing on the sidewalk and taking the stairs. I always feel a twinge of guilt for killing the grass and disrespecting JMU property when it’s not absolutely necessary. This space is used for many purposes, some important, such as a railway for passing cargo trains, and others more for fun, like the tennis courts just behind the photographer.
    -Margaret King

    ReplyDelete