Friday, April 6, 2012

Melissa Carter GAMST Connerley



The quad is my favorite place on campus. It is a giant field located right in front of Wilson Hall.  This is a place where students can go to hang out, study or eat lunch.  I love to eat lunch out on the quad when it is warm and I like to play Frisbee out there, too.  I think this is exactly what the campus designers meant this to be for students.  It was even part of the original design when they only had a few buildings.  I think aesthetically, they could add some flowers somewhere on the quad that would not be in the way, like down where there are more trees and where two benches sit there.  Also, there should be a couple more benches where there are already some.  I don’t really think there is anything to be done environmentally or with the sustainability for the quad. I will always remember the fun times on the quad.  It is one of the best things about the campus, though I have other favorite spots on campus, like TDU. My living arrangements may change throughout my years here and I may not be eating campus food after this year, but the quad remains a constant place in my four years of college.


7 comments:

  1. I really like this photo and the way it was captured. The quad is a big part of JMU and everyone that goes to JMU has been on it at least once. I agree with the photographer when it comes to the uses of the quad for Frisbee and eating and it can also be for football and other sports or just to chill. That is what I use the space for is football, Frisbee, and relaxing. I guess what moves me about this image is that it is a part of JMU that when people leave JMU never forget. It is also something that people talk about when they do visit.

    Comment by Courtland Womble

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quad at JMU can be used as a park. Students can hang out with friends, read, study, play soccer, tan or even relax under the shadow of a tree. I personally use this space only with my eyes. I walk by it on my way to class, and it always makes me happy for the rest of the day. I really enjoy seeing that big crowd of people being relaxed and happy; it makes me think of summer every time the weather is nice, because people accupy this space as if it was a beach. This image is what comes up to people's mind when they think of JMU. I think it is one of the symbol of the school because it is such a beautiful place.

    Comment by Hugo Ramadier

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t imagine many other uses for this space besides the ones the photographer listed. People can pretty much do anything on the Quad, which is why it’s such a great space. I use this space as a place to sit and relax for a few minutes during the day, either with friends or by myself. Sometimes I do homework while sitting on a bench. This image is moving because of the interesting angle – it makes the buildings and trees seem grand and picturesque.
    -Beatrix Haddon

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quad will always be in my memory during my time here at James Madison University as well. I am a senior and I graduate in twenty-two days. It will be depressing when I have to depart from the Quad and all the people hanging around the area on beautiful days. But everyone has to depart at some point… -Michael K

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this photo is really cool. The quad brings back good memories for me. during my first year at JMU I lived in wampler hall on the quad. It was so awesome to be able to walk out my front door and hang out with people on the quad. When I think of the quad it brings back good memories of my freshman year here.
    -Luke E

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quad is definitely a central part of my experience so far at JMU. Uses for the quad vary by season. It serves as place to tan in the spring weather and the big Christmas tree every winter is a popular photo spot. Some students have streaking the quad as one of their "bucket list" items before they graduate because it such a central part of JMU. Living on East Campus both of my years on campus, I sometimes feel that I missed out on making more memories by not being closer to the quad but it has still played a role in shaping my JMU experience.

    ReplyDelete