Thursday, April 5, 2012

Carrier Library - Beatrix Haddon


This is a photograph of the “Quiet Zone” on the second floor of Carrier Library. It has a nice cozy feel to it, and it always seems to be slightly warmer than other places on campus, which I appreciate. It is surrounded by rows of books, and by a few other desks, as well as a nice window overlooking the bluestone buildings. JMU students mostly use this space to study, read, write papers on their laptops, and even have a snack while they are working. The campus designers most likely intended the space to be used for studying, putting desks there so that students could have a place to work. The only way I think the space could be improved is by changing the lighting (long flourescent rectangles hanging from the ceiling), although flourescent lighting is the most practical for the area. However, if they did change the lighting, they could change it to energy-efficient lighting to be better for the environment. Practically, I think the space serves its purpose. This space will shape my memory of my time at JMU because I go here every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to study for a couple hours before lunch. I will remember all the times during my freshman year when I got a drink from Starbucks then headed up to the “Quiet Zone” to get to work.

2 comments:

  1. This image is very familiar to me. When I was a freshman I would, like the photographer, study here. I always enjoyed this section of Carrier because it was warm (by an air vent) and right near the window. I remember during winter mornings it was always pleasant to look out the window and sip my hot drink while studying. It was especially pretty when it snowed. I think this space was intended for studying and I can't imagine any other way to use this space beyond snacking, sleeping, and studying. I think this image is really interesting because it captures the books, which adds a new dimension to the picture.
    - Carisa Ingersoll

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photograph illustrates one of my favorite places on campus. The majority of my classes this semester are on the quad side of campus, so I often find myself in carrier library looking for a quiet spot to study. I can’t imagine any other uses for this space other than those that the photographer listed. I use this space most often to study and do assignments. What I like most about this space is the fact that it is a quiet zone and I don’t have to hear other people’s awkward conversations, allowing me to accomplish my work in a descent amount of time. What moves me about this image is the fact that the photographer chose to incorporate other elements such as textbooks and part of another desk which makes their image stand out.
    -Katie Lick

    ReplyDelete