Thursday, April 5, 2012

Katie Lick's Madison Space

The picture I chose to take is the freshman dorm I lived in, Frederickson Hall. Frederickson Hall is located in the village directly across from the bookstore. JMU students most often use this space to sleep in, though this space can be used for various other activities. JMU students can also use this space to study, do laundry, shower, eat, play games such as pool and foosball, watch TV, cook, and I am sure much more. I am sure campus designers intended for this space to be used in ways it is currently being used. Campus designers arranged Frederickson Hall in suites of three bedrooms that share a common lounge, and two suites that share a community bathroom. There are ways this particular space can be improved for both student use and with respect to sustainability and environmental concerns. Frederickson Hall is one of the few dorms on campus that is not air-conditioned, and two suites which are inhabited by a total of twelve people have to share a bathroom that is only equipped with two showers and two toilets. With that being said, this space can be improved for student use by placing a bathroom in each of the suites so only six people have to share a bathroom, and by installing air conditioning units. In regards to sustainability and environmental concerns, this space should be equipped with some sort of automatic lighting. The light switches in the bathroom remain on at all times unless someone remembers to switch them off, which did not happen very frequently when I lived there. Therefore, it might be more environmentally friendly if some sort of automatic lighting system could be installed so the light would turn on as someone opens the door and walks in, and then turn off as soon as someone leaves. Frederickson Hall shapes my memory of my time spent at JMU in numerous ways. I am currently a senior and I will be graduating in May, and the four years I spent at JMU would not be the same if I was not surrounded by the amazing friends I made while living in Frederickson Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment